Saturday, November 30, 2013

Stefanie's Favorite Books 2013

Hello, lovelies!
 
2013 was a tough year for me. But when people ask me why I write, I've always said that it's because I know what it's like to need to escape into other worlds when your real one gets too hard to handle. And after this past year, I believe in that more than ever.
 
There were so many books that I loved this year, so it was hard to pick my favorites. But since I have to.... I'll try my best to narrow them down. :-)
 
New Adult
 
I really got into the New Adult genre this year. I love that it's an upcoming popular genre, because it's awesome like YA (y'all KNOW I love my young adult), but with a little mix of that something extra that YA lacks (you know what I mean *wink wink*).
 
Losing It by Cora Carmack
 
 




Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
 
 

I tend to gravitate towards fantasy or sci-fi stories (what can I say? I'm a sucker for magic) but both of these books are contemporary romance, and they are both "stay up until 3 a.m. until you finish" type novels. SO GOOD. They have head strong female protagonists and men that will make you swoon. AND they each have sequels (which I haven't read yet, so don't spoil it!) and this makes me happy. Read them if you haven't!
 
My Favorite Authors
 
The next three books are by my favorite YA authors. I love EVERYTHING that these ladies write--whether it's a novel, a short story, a deleted unedited scene, a blog post, or a tweet--because they're funny, brilliant women that I look up to. Seriously. Okay, I'm done gushing. You can grab a rag to clean up the mess, I'll wait.
 
 
Infinityglass by Myra McEntire
 


I waited for this book for what seems like forever. I LOVE the Hourglass series (especially Kaleb. He's mine, you can't have him. *gives you the shifty eyes*). During my hiatus from twitter and such, I MISSED THE RELEASE. WHAT? I was so disappointed when I realized that it had already been out for three months when I finally bought it. BUT I read it, I love it, I want more, and I want to marry Myra McEntire (or you know, meet her). READ IT. It's about time travel, you'll love it. (Um, also, I'm in love with this cover. *drools*)
 
Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
 
 
 
Tahereh's prose is my favorite thing ever. She is one of those writers that makes me feel completely inadequate-- like I should just give up now because she's amazing and the publishing world doesn't need me too, but at the same time, makes me wanna get out my laptop and get to work. And the woman can write a kissing scene. Like... O_O 
I actually have this series on audiobook, and the narrator does and AMAZING job in conveying Juliette's personality. So I definitely recommend this one on audiobook if you're into that sort of thing.
 
 
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
 

 
This book is so amazing and well plotted. I have had a writer-crush on Maggie for a long time (and I owe it to her for helping me find the three wonderful ladies that critique my stuff and write stories on this website, so I am forever grateful to her for that.) PLUS everything she writes is brilliant and makes me feel ALL the feels. So I will always recommend her stuff, because I have no doubt that it will only get better. READ IT.
 
Other Good Books
 
Through To You by Emily Hainsworth
 
 


The premise of this book hooked me, and I am so glad I bought it. It's a magical realism story about an alternate dimension where the protag's dead girlfriend is still alive. Sounds awesome, right? IT IS. It's very well written,and will keep you hanging on until the last page.
 
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
 

 
I didn't read this one until after I watched the movie, and it's amazing, and weird, and captivating, and I love it. If you haven't seen the movie, Tom Hanks is perfect in it. So check out both if you haven't.
 
Reading Now
 
Reboot by Amy Tintera
 


This was another book that I've been looking forward to for a while, and it's also one that I missed the release of on my twitter hiatus. So I just started it yesterday, but I already love it so much that I am recommending it. It's a fresh new take on zombies, and I can't wait to see where she takes it!
 
If you haven't read any of these books yet, PLEASE DO. And if you know of any that are like the ones I recommended, please tell me what they are in the comments! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I hope you ALL have a happy holiday season.
 
 Next month, we're reposting our favorite stories from this site, so stay tuned!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment